Present Position Number FP331W
Role Code Title Lecturer/12-Mth
Position Title Assistant/Associate VP for Health and Wellness
The College of William and Mary seeks a creative and visionary professional for the position of Assistant/Associate Vice President for Health and Wellness (AVP). As a senior administrator within the Division of Student Affairs, the AVP will play an active role in realizing the vision of the Student Affairs division: to create an engaging learning environment in which community is strengthened and individuals flourish. The AVP will report directly to the Vice President for Student Affairs and will have direct oversight of the division’s health and wellness departments, including the Student Health Center, the Counseling Center, and Campus Recreation. In addition, the AVP will supervise two full-time health promotion specialists. The ideal candidate will exhibit outstanding organizational and interpersonal skills; commitment to student and staff development; a spirit of collaboration; a strong sense of personal and professional integrity; and a good sense of humor.
• Work collaboratively with department directors and with other members of the division and university staff to deliver a well-coordinated response to the health and wellness needs of an increasingly diverse student population, both in daily operations and in crisis circumstances affecting individuals and/or the campus more generally;
• Develop, review, and implement policies and protocols related to student health and wellness in accordance with legal guidelines (e.g., FERPA, HIPAA), the missions of the institution and division, and best practices in the field;
• Manage student health insurance policies and contracts, and serve as the primary adviser to the Vice President on ever-changing state and national healthcare laws/policies and their implications for higher education;
• Provide broad budget oversight for the constituent departments; facilitate strategic planning, assessment, and program evaluation for those areas; coordinate or assist with the assessment of cross-departmental and division-wide wellness goals; and participate actively in donor stewardship and development efforts related to health and wellness;
• Serve on university and division committees, as appropriate.
• Master’s degree in a related field of study from an accredited institution, conferred by the time of appointment;
• Significant administrative experience in student affairs or in health and/or wellness;
• Experience providing leadership in a complex organization;
• Ability to work effectively with diverse colleagues, staff, and students;
• Excellent communication, interpersonal, and supervisory skills.
• Earned terminal degree in a related field;
• Experience providing leadership in a university setting with an emphasis on consensus- and coalition-building;
• Experience with assessment using qualitative and/or quantitative methods;
• Progressively responsible experience and effectiveness in team-building, staff supervision & evaluation;
• Demonstrated success in development activities, including identifying and applying for grants and other potential sources of revenue, representing the university to alumni and external constituents, and communicating with donors and donor prospects.
Location William & Mary
Hiring Range Commensurate with experience
University Salary Range
View Salary Range U18
Job Open Date 01/16/2013
Review Begin Date 03/01/2013
Job Close Date
Open Until Filled Yes
Employment Category Professional FT
Position Term 12-Month
Special Application Instructions
To apply, submit the following materials:
(2) Cover letter addressed to the chair of the search committee, Dr. Jodi Fisler, Assistant to the Vice President for Student Affairs, College of William & Mary;
(3) Names and contact information for at least three professional references.
Applications must be submitted online through this website. For full consideration, applicants must submit all materials by March 1, 2013. Applications received after this date will be accepted and reviewed as needed.
Conditions of Employment:
As a senior staff position in Student Affairs and one with direct involvement in responding to student crises, the position will involve some work outside of the standard 8-5 workday.
William and Mary is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Equal Access employer and actively encourages applications from minorities, women, disabled persons and veterans.
Background Check Statement
The College of William & Mary is committed to providing a safe campus community. W&M conducts background investigations for applicants being considered for employment. Background investigations include reference checks, a criminal history record check, and when appropriate, a financial (credit) report or driving history check.